The Vivacity Sensor Platform.
An advanced road space usage monitoring service which combines
- IoT Sensor
- Cloud Database
- API and Dashboard
For access to a real-time and historic data view on different types of transport modes, how they use roads and pathways, and how they interact within the sensor field of view.
Our sensor data allows users to gain a better understanding of live and historic transport mode usage and flows, and how this is changing over time.
This is supporting strategic decision making to improve the road network and urban environment, helping to make environments smarter, safer and more sustainable.
Counts, Classification, Paths, Journey Time, Speed and more, all from the same sensor.
- Classified Counts – Pedestrian – Cyclist – Motorbike – Car – Taxi – Van/LGV – OGV 1 – OGV 2 – Public Service Vehicles/Buses. E-scooters and micro mobility to be added in early 2021.
- Vehicle Path across the road space to understand how different vehicles interact and to assess junction turning counts.
- Median Journey Time of road users with number plates between any two sensors within the network.
- Speed to capture travel behaviour, stopped vehicle detection and identify queue formation.
- Social Distancing of the number of anonymous pedestrian/pedestrian interactions < 2m.
- Sensor Image on request, a blurred image or low-res video of the road space to help understand abnormal behaviour on a live data feed.
How does the sensor work?
The sensor contains a local ‘edge’ processor which takes video from the in-built camera and runs machine learning algorithms to extract relevant data. With each frame of video under normal operation deleted immediately after processing, only anonymous data is extracted, stored and transmitted.
Our machine learning algorithm processes each frame of video to extract the location and classification of each road user. Only anonymous features are stored and the video frame is deleted.
The sensors have mobile connectivity, enabling data gathered to be sent to the cloud. This also enables remote access to sensors at any time to view operation status, enable remote debugging and maintenance, and action remote updates as functionality is improved.
The data is processed into a database, giving clients access to both live and historical data, via the Vivacity Dashboard and/or API.
Keeping personal data safe and private is critical to the success of this technology and our privacy-by-design principles. Our sensors do not collect personal data, and none of our clients can use our technologies to gather any kind of personal data, ever.